Diet and Nutrition Tips for Healthy Bones and Joints
Bones form the skeletal framework of human beings. Strong bones make a person strong because he can get involved in all types of physical activities, thus being active and alert and in turn being healthy.
For the bones to be healthy one has to consume foods rich in calcium. Especially during old age, where there is an increased demand for calcium, one has to be sure that he consumes enough calcium.
To keep your bones strong, joints supple and healthy, here are a few tips for you to follow.
- Increase consumption of following foods –
- Milk, cheese and dairy products
- Green leafy vegetables except spinach
- Soya beans
- Soya milk
- Sea foods – specially salmon fish, tuna
- Bread and other foods made of fortified flours
- Citrus fruits – Oranges, grapes
- Figs – fresh ones are preferable
Food Tips that help in Strong Bones –
- Use milk instead of water while having cornflakes, oats
- Use milk instead of water in soups if possible
- Munch on nuts as your snacks
- Add milk or yogurt to your juice, prefer smoothies
- Include green leafy salads as part of your meals
- Include beans and legumes in everything you cook
Ensure adequate exposure to sunlight and at right time of the day.
- Eating too much salt reduces your calcium in bones, limit salt and salt rich foods intake
- Limit your coffee intake to 2 cups a day
- Alcohol limits calcium absorption, limit your habit to a maximum 7 drinks a week
- Limit soft drinks and prefer orange juices or smoothies
Calcium is must for strong bones; it is always wise to depend on natural resources than relying on supplements in the form of tablets. Just because calcium is needed do not self medicate with supplements, consult doctor for that!
Calcium consumption is always better than calcium supplementation!
Be more than well. Be well prepared.