Today’s youth have inculcated innumerous ill habits, which derive them momentarily pleasure. One of the most common addictions among youth is Drug Addiction. Drug Addiction is a major public health issue that affects several youth and adults throughout the world.
What is Drug Addiction? Drug Addiction is defined as the dependence on a legal or an illegal drug or medication. Drug Addiction is also termed as Substance Use Disorder
Symptoms of Drug addiction – Symptoms vary based on the drug involved and the time of addiction. Most common symptoms are –
- Violent behavior
- Extreme mood changes
- Not able to meet responsibilities
- Frequent clashes within family and friends
- Disturbed sleep and eating pattern
- Inability to remain clean and tidy
Drugs that cause addiction – Most of the prescription drugs are known to cause addiction when consumed beyond the prescription time. Other drugs are –
How to recognize people struggling with drug addiction? The following signs suggest people involved in addiction –
- Problems at workplace
- Physical health issues
- Neglected appearance
- Behavioral changes
How to help a drug addict? There are certain dos and don’ts when it comes with coping or managing a drug addict. It includes –
- Don’t punish, threaten or preach
- Don’t hide or throw out drugs
- Don’t force him to give up his habit
- Don’t take over their responsibility
- Help them in seeking therapy
- Help them join a support group
- Help them to stop craving by getting them actively involved in other activities
- Never leave them alone
- Avoid conditions that makes them low and depressed
Dealing with Drug Addiction is not as simple as it sounds. It is nearly impossible for an addict to let go of cravings without the support of his family and friends.
Treatment methods like Counselling, CBT, etc. go a long way. It is advised to consult a professional to deal with things the right way.
Be more than well. Be well prepared.