India is the country known for its Unity in Diversity. Our country has numerous religions, culture and each religion have their own set of customs and traditions! Each religion worships a different God and every sub religion have different name for each God!! Though it looks too confusing, we are known to live together and that marks our Unity in Diversity!!
One common thing in all the religions is that to please the God they worship or on particular day they have the custom to do FASTING!! Apart from religious reasons, there are a few people who do fasting in order to lose weight!!
Is fasting all about losing weight or religious concern?? If you have only these 2 points in your mind, then you should definitely read on because Fasting has numerous other benefits and apart from benefits it has certain risks as well!!
Benefits of Fasting – Let us first understand the benefits of fasting –
- Promotes detoxification or helps in removal of toxins from the body
- Helps with weight loss
- Decreases appetite which is beneficial in obese or overweight individuals
- Gives rest to the digestive system
- Normalises blood pressure
- Normalises blood sugar levels
- Lowers blood cholesterols
- Enhances immunity
- Helps to overcome food addictions
- Speeds up metabolism
- Improves hunger
- Improves brain function
- Promotes clearer skin and frees skin of acne
- Promotes longevity
- Promotes heart health
- Improves cell growth and repairs cell injury internally
Risks of fasting – Apart from the benefits, fasting has certain negative impact on health as well. Especially if fasting is for long term and for the main basis of weight loss then the following risks are for sure –
- Increased risk of dehydration
- Increases stress levels
- Disturbs sleep
- Increases the risk of acidity and heartburn
- Increased risk of headaches
- Prolonged fasting results in muscle loss thus making you extreme lean
- Lowers blood sugar levels more than desired
- Increased risk of vitamin deficiencies
- Increased risk of giddiness and chronic problems
- Increases the crave for non healthy foods
- Increases the risk of eating disorders
Thus fasting has both benefits and risks! As an old adage, anything in excess is harmful!! Do not fast for longer duration, fasting on longer duration is known to have more risks than benefits!!
Let fasting give you what you wish and not what your health suffers!!!