Food is one of the essential commodities for our living. What we eat and how we eat matters, which means the food we eat needs to be safe – purchased safe, stored safe, handled and cooked safe.
A few tips to help you understand how to keep and consume safe food include:
- Place refrigerated foods last in your shopping cart
- Check expiry date before you buy any commodity
- Don’t buy a food product with unpleasant odor, even though it is still within expiration date
- Separate foods into those which needs thorough cooking, those which can be consumed raw
- Place refrigerated foods immediately in the refrigerator once you reach home
- Consume packed meat within 3 to 5 days after you buy
- Cook meat to very high temperature possible
- Scrub all fruits and vegetables with soap and water to get rid of all pesticides
- Scramble eggs to the extent it doesn’t remain watery
- Wash hands with soap and water before you cook food
- Wash hands after you handle raw meat
- Clean the countertop with soap and water once you are done with your cooking
- Wash cutting boards after each time you use it, and keep separate ones for veg and non-veg foods
- Store leftovers in airtight containers and place in refrigerator immediately
- Eat leftovers within 2 days and never beyond
- Avoid using plastic glasses and cups for hot foods
- Keep pets away from the cooking area
- Never reheat foods multiple times
- Clean your refrigerator regularly. Fungi accumulates due to the accumulation of incessant moisture.
Consuming food is a must but consuming food right is important.
Be more than well. Be well prepared.