Our body needs glucose to function properly. When there is a sudden drop in our blood glucose level (less than 70 milligrams per decilitre, mg/dl), the condition is medically termed as Hypoglycaemia. If not treated, hypoglycemia can pose a serious threat to a person.
The main cause of Hypoglycaemia is insulin insufficiency which is common in Diabetics.
Symptoms of Hypoglycaemia:-
When the blood glucose drop critically, a person may feel
- Confused & clumsy
- Loss of consciousness, etc
How to deal with sudden Hypoglycemia?
These tips will help you to deal with a sudden drop in blood glucose level:-
- Reach out for glucose in any form like a sugar candy
- Consume a small glass of Fruit juice
- Have honey, corn syrup, etc
- If you have no source of direct glucose, just have some carbohydrates in any form
- Lie down immediately & do not exert your body
- Reach for help
- Consult with your doctor as soon as possible to rule out the cause, if you are not a known diabetic
- Keep your blood glucose levels checked frequently
Though common, one should not take Hypoglycaemia for granted as it may indicate some underlying disease especially diabetes.