Depression – Helping someone with Depression There is no gender bar for depression. At some point in our lives, we have all come across people suffering from depression – probably a family member or a friend. It is however important to deal with depression the right way to prevent further exacerbations. Here […]
Stress Busters Stress is body’s way of responding to any kind of demand or threat. A large majority of adults experience Stress on a daily basis and this is not just limited to working professionals but is also experienced by students. Quick Facts: According to the WHO, Stress and Depression is […]
Understanding and Treating Depression Depression is a common mental disorder that is characterized by low mood and anxiety, loss of interest in social activities and low self-esteem. Disturbed sleep or appetite, low energy and poor concentration are some of the outcomes of depression. Today, depression has become the major functional and emotional […]
Have you faced any of the below?
1. Always feel sad or in a low mood? Do you weep often?
2. Loss of interest or pleasure with activities that you normally enjoy?
3. Change in sleep pattern – difficulty in going to sleep, waking up early or sleeping too much?
4. Change in appetite – either poor appetite, loss of weight or weight gain?
5. Feeling tired through the day or loss of energy
6. Feeling agitated or slow movements
7. Poor concentration or being indecisive, feeling worthless, excessive guilt
8. Recurrent thoughts of death, suicide, life’s not worth it etc.
Did you know?
• The burden of depression is 50% higher in females than males
• Indians are reported to be the most depressed as per WHO
• Average age of onset is around 32 years
• The prevalence of Major Depressive Episodes in India is around 36%
• Higher rates of depression are seen in rural compared to the urban population
• Up to 20% of patients visiting the primary care clinics with symptoms of anxiety and depression may not be recognized
• Long working hours under strict deadlines cause up to 75% of working women to suffer from depression or general anxiety disorder compared to women with lesser workload.