Mindfulness Meditation – Are you Present now? Mindfulness Meditation is a form of meditation designed to develop the skill of paying attention to the present moment and increase awareness in our daily lives. Studies have shown that careful moment-to-moment attention developed with mindfulness helps individuals better cope with stress, stay calm, increase […]
Mental Health is as equally important as Physical Health. Just like proper care is required to maintain a body free from diseases and physically fit; similar dedication and focus should also be given for a healthy mind. A few tips to help you get started include: Sleep – a good night’s […]
Understanding Stress and Anxiety According to WHO, anxiety affects 25% of the population in INDIA ● Depression is often also seen along with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) – hence needs to be evaluated together ● Signs of Depression, Stress and Anxiety are usually seen in adolescents initiated at the time of significant […]
Coping with Exam Stress in Kids and Teenagers Keep an eye on Exam Stress – Children and teens with exam stress may be irritable, lose proper sleep, and lose interest in food. Kids and teenagers tend to worry a lot during exams thereby making them sad and depressed. DO’s 1. Ensure […]
Understanding and Treating Depression Depression is a common mental disorder that is characterized by low mood and anxiety, loss of interest in social activities and low self-esteem. Disturbed sleep or appetite, low energy and poor concentration are some of the outcomes of depression. Today, depression has become the major functional and emotional […]
Have you faced any of the below?
1. Always feel sad or in a low mood? Do you weep often?
2. Loss of interest or pleasure with activities that you normally enjoy?
3. Change in sleep pattern – difficulty in going to sleep, waking up early or sleeping too much?
4. Change in appetite – either poor appetite, loss of weight or weight gain?
5. Feeling tired through the day or loss of energy
6. Feeling agitated or slow movements
7. Poor concentration or being indecisive, feeling worthless, excessive guilt
8. Recurrent thoughts of death, suicide, life’s not worth it etc.
Did you know?
• The burden of depression is 50% higher in females than males
• Indians are reported to be the most depressed as per WHO
• Average age of onset is around 32 years
• The prevalence of Major Depressive Episodes in India is around 36%
• Higher rates of depression are seen in rural compared to the urban population
• Up to 20% of patients visiting the primary care clinics with symptoms of anxiety and depression may not be recognized
• Long working hours under strict deadlines cause up to 75% of working women to suffer from depression or general anxiety disorder compared to women with lesser workload.