Holy Basil is not just a usual plant with religious values; it has much more than that. The common variant of holy Basil is Ocimum sanctum which is famous as Tulsi. The entire plant of Tulsi is full of amazing & incredible therapeutic properties.
Let us first know about the various nutrients in Basil:
This “herb for health” contains- Vitamins C & A, Calcium, Iron, Zinc and chlorophyll and above all it is high in antioxidants.
Here are a few amazing health benefits of Basil:
- Analgesic – the extract of Basil leaves is used as a natural pain killer as it has analgesic effects. You must have heard of Tulsi Tea when you suffer from a headache
- Adaptogens – All parts of Basil plant acts as an effective adaptogen. Adaptogens are natural substances that help our body to adapt to stress and also promote mental balance. Though it is a holistic approach, many people believe in it. Even pharmacological properties of Basil tend to show a positive effect on our mind and reduce stress
- Protect against infection – Basil is effective against infections. The nutrients help in increasing our immunity levels and protect against seasonal infections like a cold & cough. It is an immunity booster
- Wound Healing – The anti-bacterial properties along with Vitamin C content promotes wound healing at a rapid pace. Many people take it after surgery for healing of the internal wounds
- Detoxification – The antioxidants present in Basil are helpful to eliminate harmful free radicals from our body and in this way it promotes detoxification. It is advised to use Basil extract regularly for those who are prone to skin troubles like acne & skin infection. It improves the skin and adds a natural glow
- Lowering the blood glucose – Many studies suggest that Basil may help to regulate the blood sugar. It is useful for people with Type 2 diabetes. Basil is effective against weight gain, cholesterol, hypertension & insulin resistance
- Joint pain & inflammation – A regular consumption imparts it anti inflammatory properties and helps to prevent Joint inflammation. It is useful in Osteoarthritis. Also, people having joint troubles are advised to consume Basil regularly
- Emotional well being – A warm cup of Basil Tea can improve your mood, control mood swings and promotes a relaxed mind
Because of these exceptional qualities Tulsi is also known as the “Queen of Herbs”