1. 285 Million people visually impaired
2. 4 out of 5 cases are avoidable
3. 90% of the visually impaired people are from developing countries
4. Eye Problems can be reduced by a great deal by getting regular eye examinations and preventing the onset of visual impairment.
It is important for people to understand the important of a Healthy Eye and reduce incidents of blindness and vision impairment.
___Causes of Blindness in India___
• Refractive Errors
• Corneal Blindness
• Surgical Complications
___Tips for Healthy Eye___
• Get regular eye exams – Regular eye checkups helps in early detection of eye problems and effective treatment can prevent eye complications. Children should have their first eye checkup between the age of 6 – 12 months and another checkup before they attend school. Adults, especially those above 40, should have yearly eye exams to avoid age related ocular conditions
• Tell your health history to your eye doctor – There are various illnesses such as hypertension, blood pressure and diabetes that are related to eye problems. There is a connection between these illnesses and eye issues, which we generally tend to ignore
• Control the air quality around you – Try to avoid dry air and consider using a humidifier as it will protect your eyes from irritation caused by dryness
• Replace your contact lens cases every 2-3 months – In case you use contact lens, you are highly recommended to change the case of your contact lens every 2-3 month. As these cases can become a breeding ground for bacteria, it is better to change the cases
• Limit your Computer screening time – If you have to work infront of your laptop or computer, use the 20-20-20 rule, every 20 minutes, look 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. This break will help your eyes to rest from constant strain
• Add Leafy vegetables to your diet – Dark leafy vegetables such as spinach are rich in lutein, which helps to protect against macular degeneration (leading cause of vision loss in people over 60)
Apart from the points mentioned above, foods rich in omega-3s like walnuts acts as anti-inflammatory to reduce inflammation in the blood vessels of the eye.