Vitamins are one of the essential nutrients to our body. Vitamins are broadly classified as Water Soluble Vitamins and Fat Soluble Vitamins and both are very much needed to lead a healthy life.
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, very well known for its beneficial effects on improving our immunity. It is an antioxidant found abundantly in fruits and vegetables. It is also known as Ascorbic acid. An increased level of Vitamin C in blood is a marker of good health and deficiency results in a specific disease known as Scurvy.
Sources of Vitamin C – Vitamin C is found abundantly in following fruits and vegetables –
- Citrus fruits like oranges and grapes
- Leafy vegetables
- Red peppers
- Musk melons
- Kiwi fruits
- Capsicums and chilies
- Green peas
How much Vitamin C is needed per day? Recommended dietary intake of Vitamin C depends on age and gender. Recommended Dietary Intake is as follows
- Women – 75 mg
- Men – 90 mg
- Children between 9 to 13 years – 45 mg
- Children between 4 to 8 years – 25 mg
- Children between 1to 3 years – 15 mg
- Infants – 40 mg
Benefits of Vitamin C –
- Protection from common cold – Vitamin C facilitates absorption of iron and thus strengthens our resistance to fight against bacterial and viral infections
- Protects heart – Vitamin C helps in dilating the blood vessels in cases of heart attacks, CHF, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, thus keeping heart healthy and risk free.
- Prevents lead toxicity – Lead toxicity is very common in children. Increased lead levels have impact ton mental and physical health as well. Vitamin C helps in reducing blood lead levels.
- Curing eye disorders especially Cataracts – Vitamin C intake increases blood supply to ocular areas and thus prevents and even cures eye problems
- Reduces the risk of cancer – Adequate consumption of Vitamin C helps in preventing different types of cancer
- Reduces the risk of stroke
- Vitamin C also has a beneficial effect on mood and stress –it acts as a mood enhancer and de stressor agent
- Wound healing is aided by Vitamin C
- Helps in combating the symptoms of Asthma
- Helps in controlling blood sugar levels, thus beneficial for Diabetics
- Helps in regulating blood pressure levels
- Vitamin C has proven to benefit people who are obese and helping in weight loss
- Glowing and healthy skin is due to vitamin C
- Vitamin C also makes your hair strong, thick, dandruff free and prevents hair loss, greying of hair and fights against hair disorders
Vitamin C is considered a Miracle Vitamin because of its awesome benefits to our health. Review your diet, stock up on Vitamin C rich foods.
Be more than well. Be well prepared to stay healthy, stay active.