Bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites are referred to as Microorganisms. Microorganisms are harmful to us as they cause variety of illnesses and interfere with health. But what is unknown to many is that there are certain bacteria that are helpful to humans as well.
Yes, these helpful bacteria are termed as Probiotics. They have shown promising good effects and benefits to human beings.
What are Probiotics? Probiotics are live bacteria or yeasts that offer good health to human beings. They are beneficial in numerous ways especially to the digestive system. They are referred to as Good Bacteria or Helpful Bacteria!
What do Probiotics do? Probiotics helps us in being healthy by –
- Decreasing the number of bad bacteria in the body that are known to cause infections and inflammation
- Replacing good bacteria which are lost due to various reasons
- Restoring body’s good and bad bacteria balance
Types of Probiotics – There are 2 main categories of Probiotics, namely –
Sources of Probiotics – Artificial Probiotic products are available under different brands however certain foods naturally contain Probiotics and include –
- Soy drinks
Benefits of Probiotics – Probiotics offer numerous benefits of which important and most common are –
- Prevents and treats diarrhea
- Prevents and treats Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Prevents and treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Treatment of Antibiotic associated diarrhea
- Skin conditions like eczema
- Vaginal conditions
- Prevents allergies and colds
- Maintenance of oral health
- Boosts immune system
Side effects of Probiotics – Consuming foods rich in Probiotics will not result in side effects however if taken in the form of supplements then side effects encountered are – allergic reactions, diarrhea, flatulence, bloating sensation of abdomen which often disappears after few days
Can Probiotics be taken without doctor’s advice? In most of the cases Probiotics are considered safe, however it is better to go ahead with supplements after doctor’s advice especially in case of immune deficiency!
Don’t depend on supplements when you can get it through your diet. Natural products are always safe; include yogurts regularly in your diet.
Stay Healthy, Stay Activ!