Studies show that exercise in the elderly also helps lower the risk of certain health conditions, thereby increasing quality of life, improving balance and reducing falls.
Benefits of exercises for Elderly – Exercises offers physical and mental health benefits which are summarized below –
- Helps maintain ideal weight and thus control weight related health issues
- Reduces the impact and effects of chronic conditions
- Increases body balance and makes you more active and helps with your mobility
- Improves sleep
- Acts as mood enhancer and boosts self confidence
Fitness exercises for elderly – It is not advisable for the elderly to involve themselves with vigorous activities. They need to get involved in those activities that suit their body and health conditions. A minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity every day can go a long way in keeping them fit, healthy and active.
Few examples include –
- Brisk walking
Myths about elderly fitness – Most of the elderly consider that they don’t require a fitness regimen anymore and have other myths as well, here is a few to list –
- Exercise increases my risk of falls
- It is frustrating and I don’t have the stamina I once had
- I’m too old to start exercising now
- I’m disabled and hence can’t exercise
- I’m too weak and have unexplained aches and pains
Before planning a fitness regimen, it is important for the Elderly to consider a thorough medical checkup and seek advice from their Physician on what activities would best suit them.
Take the first step towards a healthier you, today – Be more than well.