WORLD BLOOD DONOR DAY
This day is to thank blood donors for their life saving gift, BLOOD.
Every country should achieve 100% voluntary and unpaid blood donation. Safe blood is the fundamental need for every country`s health system which is necessary to save lives.
WHO Statistics has revealed the following interesting facts on importance of blood donation and need of blood:
- Every 2 seconds someone needs a blood transfusion.
- More than 30,000 blood donations are needed every day to save lives.
- One out of every 10 people admitted in the hospital needs blood
- One road traffic accident victim may need as close to 100 units of blood.
- Donation of one unit that is 450 ml of blood can save 3 lives!
Getting ready to donate blood? Know these facts before you proceed.
- Age – You have to be more than 18yrs of age and less than 60 years of age
- Weight – 48kgs and more
- Disease Free State – No illness for 15 days prior to blood transfusion. Illness is not limited and include viral infections that are long standing like- malaria, typhoid, jaundice, rubella, Hepatitis B, C and HIV infection
- People who have undergone recent surgeries, pregnant or lactating women should avoid donating blood.
- Diet – Have a light meal, drink plenty of fluids and avoid fatty foods
- Get a good, sound sleep the before night
- Maintain a healthy iron levels in your blood by eating iron rich foods
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- After donation have a snack and drink up to 4 glasses of extra fluids.
- Do not do any vigorous exercise for the day.
- Donate blood once in every 3 months
Donating blood is not making you sick; in fact it is going to help you as well. These are the benefits if you donate blood:
- You will receive a mini health check up, where in the blood pressure, body weight, pulse and haemoglobin are checked. Screening for Hepatitis B,C and HIV infection is also done
- Lowers the risk of developing heart attack, cancer and stroke when blood is donated regularly.
- Burns calories, donating one pint of blood reduces 650 calories in the donor`s body.
- Assurance to you and your family that blood will be available when need arises.
- Self pride that you have saved 3 lives in your community.
If you donate blood from the age of 18 years, once every 3 months, you will be saving 500 lives!!
Blood is the price less gift of life. “Donate blood, save lives “