Most of us spend very less time in eating. Eating is often accompanied with either texting over phone or watching TV or glancing at a newspaper. Times have changed and people prioritize eating quickly over relishing their meal.
The unknown fact is that we are inviting health issues mainly because of our eating habits and it is therefore important to cultivate ‘Mindful Eating’.
It has been proven that Mindful Eating helps or improves our health in multiple ways.
What is Mindful Eating?
- Using all the senses in choosing and eating food that satisfies you and nourishes your body with all nutrients
- Eating with intention of caring for oneself
- Becoming aware of hunger and satiety
- Using food to provide fuel to live life as you wish
How to start with Mindful eating? It is not simple to incorporate mindful eating habits at once! Start slowly and steadily by starting with these measures –
- Sip first few sips of coffee or tea with full attention
- Avoid reading and eating, if unavoidable then read a page put the book down eat a few bites, savor and enjoy the taste and then stop eating and read the next page
- While eating in group, avoid chatting for initial few minutes and have a look at the foods available and choose your dish
- Restrict yourselves to consume at least one meal per week mindfully
Tips to keep up with Mindful eating –
- Listen to your body and stop once you are full
- Eat when you are hungry
- Eat at set time and place when outdoors
- Eat healthy and nutritious foods
- Dedicate eating time only for eating
- Pay attention to your plate
Benefits of Mindful eating – Mindful eating helps in multiple ways like –
- Reduces over eating, less eating and binge eating
- Promotes weight loss
- Reduces food anxiety
- Improves symptoms of chronic diseases
- Manages your emotions in a healthier way
Mindful eating is easy to understand – it includes –
- Why do I eat?
- When do I have to eat?
- What to eat?
- How do I eat?
- How much do I eat?
- Where to invest the energy derived by eating?
Mindful eating involves engaging your mind when eating and thus helps us in getting right energy and utilizing right energy for right work.
Enjoy each bite of every meal, enjoyment makes mind happy and you healthy!