Every one out of three women suffers Constipation during Pregnancy.
Constipation in pregnant women may occur because of a change in hormones that are responsible to relax the intestinal muscles. Relaxation in intestinal muscles causes food & waste to move slower in your system. Iron supplementation may also cause Pregnancy constipation.
Here are a few effective tips to prevent constipation during Pregnancy:
- Diet – Eat a fiber-rich diet. Include a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and salads to get natural fibers. Avoid spicy food
- Fluid – Drink at least 3-4 liters of liquid per day along with fiber intake. You can opt for homemade lemonade, coconut water, buttermilk, etc.
- Exercise – Even a simple walk of 30 minutes per day may help you to boost your digestive system. Exercise just stimulates your Bowels
- Omitting or reducing iron supplements – You can talk to Gynaecologist and switch to natural sources of iron rather than pills
- OTC medicines – After consulting your doctor you may take pregnancy safe mild laxatives or stool softener
Apart from these remedies avoid stress and stay happy. A combination of a healthy diet, ample liquid & stress-free living will help you to prevent Pregnancy induced constipation.